Everything is meaningless. We read Ecclesiastes and think, “yeah, I could simplify my life a bit…” and then we proceed to downsize our closets and usually get rid of most of our clothing: at least, the stuff that was generally the cheapest. I never once thought twice about the word, “everything”. Never once looked at this verse through the lens I am seeing through today in Jinja, Uganda.

Everything here, means everything. Not like back home where everything means everything MINUS our everyday starbucks, free people dresses, anthropologie candles, “thrifted” household items (lets be real, thrifting these days is way more expensive than shopping at regular stores…) and the comforts of air conditioning, purified water, and houses with wood floors and real beds.

Of course, these things aren’t bad things- we live in a completely different culture that separates us from the struggles and pains of the rest of the world- which isn’t anyone’s fault. But if we don’t allow ourselves to feel this everything, the everything I am seeing today, we might never have the opportunity to feel the Lord speaking above the noise in the place we are in today. If we don’t SEARCH for this everything, the kind that I am seeing today- we might go our entire lives just remaining comfortable. Where enough from us is juuuust enough.  

The kind of everything I am seeing is the kind that goes without mothers and fathers. Baby strapped to a baby’s back walking the red dirt roads completely alone. I am seeing houses made with mud, leaves, bricks, and clay, ja ja’s hanging dirty tattered clothing on lines outside of their huts, I am seeing children barefoot, infected, and in so much pain. I am seeing kids my own cousins’ age not in school, wondering what their futures look like. I am seeing the hurt, the poor, the broken, the lost, and the needy. I’m seeing all of it.



And yet, I see joy. I see laughter. I see children with flies in their open cuts looking up at me, grabbing my hands to hold. I see children shouting “muzungu” with cheery-filled eyes. I see little ones chasing after our van on their freshly pricked feet , jigger free, hopefully for good. I see love. I see rejoicing. I see faith. I see The Lord.



My first two days in Jinja, I’ve seen people that are alone, tattered, infected, in pain, hurt, poor, broken, lost, and in need. But amidst all of this- amidst the struggle, I have seen JOY. I have seen laughter, cheery-filled eyes, hope, goodness, love, rejoicing, and faith. Amidst all of this, I have seen The Lord.

With every obstacle conquered, I am reminded of how amazing The Lord is. With every tear shed, I am reminded how strong The Lord is. With every child healed, I am reminded how present The Lord is. And with every smile shared, I am reminded how good The Lord is.


It has been 3 days here in Jinja. 3 days working with Sole Hope, watching the impact, and the movement God is creating here. 3 days falling in love with this country, the red dirt, and the people in it. So right now, I am sweaty, sticky, smelly, covered in mosquito bites, and I am reminded: Everything is meaningless. All that matters is how we love. All that matters is choosing joy. In the words of my new Ugandan friend, “Live the life you want to leave behind…”




2 Comments

  1. You're a lovely writer. You write from a deeper place. Your repitition gives it spirit and power. The Lord speaks through you, always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Instagram, and it stirs my heart here in New Zealand. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    Blessings,
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.